St. Anne's Charterhouse open day
The Lodge was named after the historic residence of the then Provincial Grand Master R.W.Bro. Col. (later Sir) W. F. Wyley, V.D., D.L.
At the request of W.Bro. W. A. Oubridge one of our founders, the Provincial Grand Master sent a short note which is now affixed to one of our minute books. Part of it has been typed out below:
“The Carthusian Order was founded in A.D. 1080 by Bruno, Archbishop of Rheims. The first monastery, La Grande Chartreuse was built near Grenoble in France. The Coventry Charterhouse was the 7th Monastery of the Carthusian Order founded in England, there were in all nine in England, one in Ireland and one at Perth in Scotland. The Coventry Charterhouse was commenced in 1385”.
St. Anne’s Charterhouse, Coventry was originally part of a Carthusian monastery founded in 1381-2, King Richard II and his Queen, Anne of Bohemia laying the foundation stone at the east end of the Choir in 1385.
The present day site is well worth a visit to find out more. For more information go to the Charterhouse Priory website.
The next Public Open Day is on 7 February 2015 from 12:00 to 4:00pm.
- Free Entry
- Free Parking
- Guided tours
- Treasure Hunt for the Children
Tell your friends and take them along, everyone should know about its medieval wall paintings - so close to the City centre.